Birding with Frank to Celebrate World Shorebirds Day at Shinnecock Bay: Adults/Children 8+
Walk Leader: Frank Quevedo, Executive Director, South Fork Natural History Museum (SOFO)
The numbers of shorebirds around the world have been declining. Global recognition of this decline has resulted in the creation of World Shorebirds Day. The day will be commemorated by a worldwide shorebird count to encourage conservation and recognition of these birds. Join SOFO for this Annual World Shorebirds Day program honoring these magnificent birds. No experience necessary to join. Binoculars are a must, a field guide to birds of eastern North America is recommended.
From the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service:
The World Shorebirds Day was shaped with the following goals:
- To advance community mindfulness about the need to safeguard shorebirds and their homes throughout their life cycles;
- To advance community mindfulness about the need for constant shorebird study;
- To link people with shorebirds through key shorebird places around the globe;
- To get shorebird supporters to present shorebirds to more birders;
- To increase mindfulness about the essential need for increased capital for shorebird study, observing and management.
Advanced reservations are required for all events. To register for this walk please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Spots will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, and we will confirm your reservation by email.